The Ozark Queen was the last steamboat to dock at Calico Landing in 1903 just before the opening of the railroad. This scale model of the Queen helps us share the story of our past. It was constructed by Trustee Emeritus Ed Matthews in memory of Captain Robert C. Matthews.
Featured Historic Site: East Calico
Featured Picture: 1947 Lions Club Banquet
Featured Historic Site: Trimble House
We love this historic photo from a 1947 Lions Club Banquet. Not only does it capture a great moment in our history, but it also shows us a unique glimpse into a historic building that is no longer in our community! This photo was taken inside the original high school gym. This gym was built in the early 1940's and then burned. It was replaced by what we commonly call the "old gym" or the elementary school gym. This gym had a stage, so it was multi-purpose.
Located a short distance from the Calico Rock Museum just off Highway 5 (Main Street) on Walnut Street (see the historic Walnut Street Bridge, too), the East Calico Historic District is a section of town that was once a boom town. While Calico Rock is certainly not a ghost town, this section of town is the only ghost town within a city in the United States. It's worth a trip.
Copyright 2008-2020, Calico Rock Museum & Visitor Center. All Rights Reserved.
Located a short distance from the Calico Rock Museum on Highway 56 (across from the Calico Rock Cumberland Presbyterian Church), the historic Trimble House is one of the oldest surviving structures east of the Mississippi River. It's well worth a visit when you come to Calico.
Calico Rock Museum & Visitor Center
These are just a few of the historical artifacts in our collection:
The Calico Rocket, c. 1903
No Smoking Sign, Calico Rock Depot, c. 1910
Native American Grinding Stone, c. 1820
Telegraph Machine, Calico Rock Depot, c. 1910
Cherokee Alphabet Tablet, c. 1810
Calico Rock Telephone Exchange Headset, c. 1950
We are always looking for new items for our collection.
Call us to discuss loaning or donating items at 870-297-6100.